Do you use a joystick for gaming?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by fuzyon, May 26, 2016.

1. fuzyon

fuzyon Member

I used my keyboard and mouse for everything I played for the longest time, but recently I bought a joystick and it's been a life-saver. Some games feel much better with a controller.
    I bought an XBOX 360 controller if you're interested.

2. lexinonomous

lexinonomous New Member

I haven't played with a joystick in years. I remember owning a joystick for my computer as a child, but that was only to play certain games. I remember when games required a joystick in order to play. I never liked playing with a joystick. It always felt awkward. I get more enjoyment out of a mouse and keyboard or something with more controls.

JonathanS likes this.
  3. fuzyon

fuzyon Member

That's what I thought as well, but I play a lot of FIFA and NBA which are so much easier with a controller. It's smoother to navigate and do skills with one.

4. zebali

zebali Member

It is very hard to play a game with the help of keyboard and mouse. I use to play games with joysticks as it gives us full control over the game. If we play on the keyboard then a lot of features are unable to load.

5. cgrey

cgrey New Member

I use a controller on PC when it is a strict racing game (which I don't play often) or if I am flying (like battlefield when I use a flight stick). Since my switch over to PC gaming in 2016 I have had a hard time going back to using a controller/joystick. It makes me feel like I don't really have control over what is happening. Sniping on games is so much faster for me with the mouse instead of the controller.

6. JonathanS

JonathanS New Member

I can relate so hard because I grew up the same way. I remember using my parents Windows XP computer to install PC games. It was during this period I asked my parents to buy me a Logitech joystick in order to "enhance" my PC gaming. However, I immediately sold it after purchasing, was one of the most frustrating things I've ever come across. It was also annoying because I could only use it on certain games, and not the others I wanted.

During this period, I don't feel PC gaming had evolved the way it is today. So back then having a console was everything. PC gaming was more of a secondary option rather than primary choice.

7. john franklin

john franklin New Member

Tetris is the only game that can easily played on keyboard I use to play all other games using controller. It feels really comfortable to play games using joysticks.

You dont need a console for gaming if you have a joystick with multiple functions. I have dual shock joystick with all the features.

8. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Member

It depends on the game and the genre. If it's a FPS, a RTS or an Adventure Game, mouse and keyboard is the way to go for me.
    But with action, platformers, racing and fighitng game there is absolutely no way I play without gamepad!
    With games that are console ports, although, I use gamepad regardless of the genre because I think that's the way they were meant to be played during programming.

9. camshaq23

camshaq23 New Member

Controller is a must for me when using PC for gaming. My PS3 controller works best when am playing NFS Undercover on PC, it's way better than user the arrow keys on the keyboard to turn corners.

10. Herought

Herought New Member

I only use joystick when playing fighting games like tekken, WWE, streetfighter, etc. But when it comes to FPS games like overwatch, CSgo and other MMORPG games I prefer my keyboard.

11. ReaperX

ReaperX Member

I prefer using a control, makes things a lot more easier for gaming and is something I am a bit more use to doing. I won't have to constantly look down or worry about clicking the wrong key.

12. fuzyon

fuzyon Member

Definitely! For FPS games I would much rather play with a keyboard and mouse, it's impossible for me to aim. Controllers are the best for casual games.

13. andandand3

andandand3 Member

I cannot say that I have used a joystick in some time, but now that you mention it, it would be nice to get back to it. It would certainly bring back some nostalgic feelings.

14. overcast

overcast Member

In past I used to make use of the wheel and the joystick. But I am cutting down on some of such games. And I don't find much use and interest of such extension now. I am a voiding making use of them for sure.

15. Mennaro

Mennaro New Member

Never used a joystick on my PC. I just don't usually play games that are better played with a joystick. And even when I occasionally do, I'm too lazy to get a joystick.

16. razor

razor Member

I only use gamepads with racing/flying or sports games. Pretty much everything else, except for fighting games which I don't play anyway, can be played better with mouse & keyboard.

17. Athanas

Athanas Member

I rarely play games with the help of a joystick. A keyboard, a mouse and my fingers are the only tools I am comfortable to use when playing games on a PC.

18. Rexy

Rexy New Member

Nah, never been a fan of joysticks really, I've tried it but never liked it though.

19. dionnextherese

It depends on the game. If I think that it’s easier to play it with a joystick, then I would definitely use it.

20. fishbate

fishbate Member

I never had a joystick as an controller for pc but i'm comfortable with it in arcade centers. It's basically the first controller for gaming and quite frankly its a bit primitive.