Running the game on an old Laptop (Semi-guide)

Discussion in 'Borderlands 2 General' started by Sworden, May 8, 2016.

1. Sworden

Sworden New Member

So I had been wanting to play this game on my laptop for a while, but I honestly didn't think it would work. I run an older latitude, with 4 gigs ram, an older i5 processor, and an Nvidia NVS 4200M (an old notebook card).

I remember being surprised before that borderlands 1 had worked for me on a crappy desktop, so I gave this one a try. I already had the game purchased on steam, so I loaded it up and it actually ran decently at around a constant 18 fps.

Now that would have been okay for me if I wasn't playing a sniper, where I needed pretty much every single frame. So I looked around a bit, edited the willowengine file (just open it in notepad) a bit by turning Bloom to 'False', but still didn't notice many changes.

Then I simply put the game to windowed mode and reduced the resolution, and voila, the game is now working pretty well.

so TL;DR, reduce the resolution and the game should work much faster.

#1 Sworden, May 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2016
  2. mauricioq

mauricioq New Member

Yeah, the resolution is the main "graphic" capability and it uses a lot of power, so if you reduce you'll feel it a lot. Another thing that always works for me, is to install and use "game booster" by razer, it's pretty easy to handle and also makes games run way better.

3. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu New Member

I've found most laptops/computers that are not too old have no probem running these types of games now. Makes for very fun afternoons or school breaks in my case where you can just carry a controller around and play in campus.

4. Sworden

Sworden New Member

Yeah, I actually also have that installed and ready to go.

I even went and experimented with the whole webcam and recording thing, the entire software is pretty cool. Though I do feel that sometimes it isn't necessary, such as when playing league of legends.

It also takes a little bit of time opening up each time, but that might just be because my computer is slow.

5. oneisgoodu

oneisgoodu New Member

Thanks for recommeding Razor game booster. I would love to boost the game. :D

6. oneisgoodu

oneisgoodu New Member

I agree with you. Reducing thhe resoultion really work. Now, the game is not lagging on my screen. Thanks for the tip. :D

7. Sworden

Sworden New Member

Yeah, it sorta sucks that you have to play in like a really small boxed screen, but being able to play with 40 fps compared to like the 20 I was getting before, it's completely worth it.

Also, in terms of Razer Game booster, tbh I barely notice any difference myself when I use it in pretty much everything. I think it might help for some really older laptops or desktops, but even then I don't think it makes too much of a difference.

8. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu New Member

I agree with you,it is hard to notice differences once you are actually playing. Once you get im,ersed in the story the quality is irrelevant

9. fuzyon

fuzyon Member

I think it's hard to play on windowed mode, at least for me, since it's harder to hit your target as a sniper. I guess it's good that it runs on older laptops with a couple of adjustments.

10. lisasian86

lisasian86 New Member

I run it on my laptop and don't seem to have any problems but when I've had issues with running other games on it I find reducing the resolution really helps.

11. oneisgoodu

oneisgoodu New Member

That's great. You are right. We can play with a controller in campus.

12. oneisgoodu

oneisgoodu New Member

Yes, you are right.

13. andandand3

andandand3 Member

I cannot say that I have tried it but I can already tell that this probably would have thrown me off if I were to try, so it is a good heads up. Might be a good reminder to finally upgrade too...just wish it were free.

14. razor

razor Member

Reducing the resolution should be the first thing anyone should do if they're having framerate issues. It is always going to help if your graphics card is bottlenecking, but not if the CPU is ( not that you could do much if your CPU was bottlenecking anyway, except for buying a new one ).

15. jakub1

jakub1 Member

Always reduce the resolution and then the graphics